Monday, 4 April 2011

Finger Paint Fun (and almost mess free)

Let's be honest here - one of the greatest parts of motherhood is doing fun things that without children, aren't really acceptable. For example, watching Disney films, making cubby houses and one of my favourite - finger painting! Of course finger painting with a toddler can be stressful. For one, the mess and secondly, trying to stop them from eating the paint. I've since come up with solutions to both problems.

First up, make your own paint! While I wouldn't hand this over to Pacman for lunch, if he happens to have a taste, I know that it has no nasties in it.

You'll need -
1 cup flour
1 cup of hot water
1 1/2 cups of cold water
Two tablespoons of salt
Food colouring

Then -
Mix flour, salt and cold water in a large saucepan
Stir until lump free
Add hot water and stir on low heat until mixture thickens
Separate into bowls (plastic/paper plates work well too as you can throw them away when you're done).
Add food colouring

When it's time to paint, I put Pacman in the bath (with no water) with the paper and paint.

Painting Happily




I use a little stepping stool to put the paper on. It makes it easier for Pacman to paint and because it's plastic, it's easy to wipe clean afterwards.


When your little one (and Mumma!) has finished painting, just put the paper somewhere to dry, rinse the paint out of the bath then fill it up and clean your little one! It makes it so easy.

Messy Pacman

As a parent, the painting in the bath has probably been one of my best ideas yet.
Have a great (or bad) parenting idea? Share with me!
The Mumma In Heels. Xo

6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea. Pacman is so cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwh his so cute, great idea, I usually make her paint outside. or all she has is crayons & pencils. Mess free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last photo is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen! Such a cutie pie, he is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pacman is beyond cute! And i love the idea of painting in the bath. You should try and make him some 'bath pens' by colouring baby shampoo with food colouring and putting it in old liquid (non toxic) glue containers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea (both the finger paint, and the whole bath thing!!). I secretly love finger painting too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!